Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Hotlanta

I am headed to Hotlanta tomorrow morning. I am going to visit my best friend is as you all will remember is a brand new Mrs. She and her hubby have been married for about 6 weeks now, they are adorable together! I love them both and I am so excited about heading up there with the Nood. He loves his Aunt Keri also so he's pretty stoked.

Other than that there really isn't much going on in my world. I did all my new hire paper work for the hospital this week, got my health physical, got my PPD test, got my fit test...oh and my hospital decal. :) The stupid nurse that did my physical stuck me not once but twice for my PPD the first time she stuck me she looked away the need slipped out so she just jammed it back in there, but it gets better. Then I needed blood work done and I have fantastic veins, I told her they usually stick me in my AC (inner elbow) she proceeded not to listen and to put the turnicate on way too lose then stuck me in my hand, got no flash back then wiggled it around in there. Next she took it out and used the same needle and jammed it into another vein my hand, once again, no flash back she then wiggled it around in there. Mind you this hurt like a bitch. Oh but it gets back better...she then proceeded to do the same thing on my other arm on my forearm didn't get anything and did the same jab wiggle restick thing over again. Are you freaking kidding me?!?! I would have done better just drawing my own blood, I kid you not. Needless to say, after 2 PPD sticks and 4 blood sticks I walked my happy ass over to the lab to have my blood drawn by someone competent.

Note to all my fellow nurses out there, let's listen to our patients--they know their body better then we do.

I also wanted to thank everyone who cross posted my link from my previous post. We now have 35 members in this group! Yay for animal rescue.

Anyways, I will be sure to take a bunch of people over the next few days when I am with Ker. Hopefully I will get on here sometime during the next few days, but I don't know, we'll just have to wait and see.

I hope you guys all have a wonderful July 4th holiday...be safe!

6 comments:

~M~ said...

My mom is a nurse and the night before my wedding I was in the ER. They were swamped and my mom went into nurse mode and prepped all the stuff for my stitches! I can totally understand wanting to just do it yourself!

sprinkles said...

I have pretty good veins too and the last time I had to have blood drawn, the nurse had some problems but nothing like this! At least the nurse apologized profusely to me. Hopefully you won't have to work with that nurse very much at all since she obviously doesn't know what she's doing.

You asked some questions in comments to a couple of my blog posts. I keep meaning to get back to you and just haven't yet. Sorry!

First, St. Elmo's Fire is a John Hughes movie from the 80's so naturally, it's an excellent movie. It's basically about a group of friends who recently graduated from college and them struggling with the real world. When I first saw it, I didn't quite understand it to it's full extent but still enjoyed it. Watched it again years later and totally "got" it.

Beta fish are VERY easy to care for! About the only maintenance I do for mine is just to change his water about once a week and adding a special additive stuff to it to keep the water acidity down. I get the additive at the grocery store and it's pretty cheap. I put him in a bowl while I clean out his tank and rinse the rocks out. Shortly after I first got him, his tail fell off so I don't know if I was doing something wrong or what but it grew back just as long and flowy as before so who knows?

I hope you have a wonderful time visiting your friends!

Kirsty Girl said...

Good advice! Every one knows their own body better than anyone else! I wish more nurses and doctors believed this too!

Have fun visiting!

Meeko Fabulous said...

I haven't heard it called a PPD Mantoux in years!!! And yes, I wish nurses would listen when you tell them how and/or where you'd like to be stuck by a needle. It's been your body longer than theirs, you know it better.

LWLH said...

Have fun with your girl! :)

Becca said...

OH geez! I hate having my blood drawn. I don't think I necessarily have bad veins but it seems that something ALWAYS goes wrong which makes it so much worse!

Sounds like you had a real winner on that visit. I probably would have cried a bit. Glad that you were finally able to get up out of there! LOL!